Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ideal gas producing close to ideal results

Good news! I was right about my chilly propane tank. I was worried that the low flow rate may have also been due to the regulator valve connected to the outlet hose, which I would have been less than pleased about, since I wasn't in the mood to buy a new regulator. I'll have a link to the video of the first successful trial of the Rubens tube once I figure out where I can easily host a 27MB file.

Additionally, after initial testing, it occurred to me that the wavelengths of the tones I was playing on my guitar were longer than the length of the tube, so except for some of the higher notes, the flame waves showing up are actually representative of one of the harmonic modes being played. I think this is a neat idea to incorporate into my presentation (which I'll give tomorrow), since the class had just been learning about interference and how waves can be linearly combined. Perhaps being able to show a visualization of one of the harmonic modes individually might be a good way to illustrate how the constituent parts of a complete wave can be parsed.

No comments:

Post a Comment